Individual Event Age Group Categories
The age category for an individual event is determined by your age on the day of the event/s you chose to swim.
‘I’m Going Long’ swims
In the ‘I’m Going Long’ swims there are 15 age groups: under 15, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80+. In each age-group 1st, 2nd and 3rd male and females will be awarded with medals at event prize givings. Age eligibility is from 14 years old and over.
Non-wetsuit swimmers in the ‘I’m Going Long’ swim have the same categories, with the 1st male and female in each age group being awarded with medals at event prize givings.
NB: The elite category is part of the ‘I’m Going Long’ swims – see the Elite Series Competition page for more info.
‘Step It Up’ 1000m swims
There are seven age group categories in the ‘Step it Up’ swim event: under 15, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+. Overall 1st, 2nd & 3rd placed male and females will be awarded medals at each event as well as 1st placed male and females in each age category. Age eligibility is from 12 years old and over.
‘Give It A Go’ 300m swims
There are seven age group categories in the ‘Give it a Go’ swim event: under 15, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+. No age group specific medals will be awarded, but the overall 1st, 2nd & 3rd placed male and females will be awarded medals at each event. Age eligibility is from 10 years old and over.
State OceanKids 200m swims
There are three age group categories for the 200m OceanKids swim, under 8, 9 and 10 year olds. Please see the State OceanKids page for more information on the event. Age eligibility is from 6 to 10 years old.
Series Age Group Categories
The Series Age Group Competition applies to competitors swimming in the ‘I’m Going Long’ distance swims. All participants who complete three or more events in a season will have the points from their best three results calculated, with the highest points totals at the end of the Series winning each respective age-group. Presentation of the Series Age Group Categories will take place at a prize giving on 18 April 2015, immediately following the completion of the final event – the State King of the Bays.
Series age-group medals will be presented to 1st, 2nd and 3rd-placed competitors in the following age-group categories:
under 15, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80+
The age group category that a Series participant is automatically entered into will be determined by their age as at 22 November 2014 (the date of the series’ first event – the State Bay of Islands Classic).
The ‘Fine Print’:
- Enter three or more ‘I’m Going Long’ swim events to qualify
- First-placed overall male and female at events will both receive 100 points. All the following competitors will be awarded points as a percentage of the winner’s times
- Each competitor’s best three results will be calculated at the end of the series to determine all series winners
- To win an age-group awards, you will need to have the highest number of points in your age category over the series
- Elite competitors who achieve an overall top three prize will not be eligible to win in their age-groups
- The 1st, 2nd and 3rd male and female in each of the 15 age groups will be presented age-group medals
- Series winners will be announced at the Series prize giving following the King of the Bays prize giving on 18 April 2015 in Takapuna, Auckland. So, if you think you will be in with a chance to win, please plan to stay for the additional prize giving
- In the case of two competitors having equal maximum points, the winner will be decided as follows;
- If at any time during the series the two tied competitors have swum in the same event, the winner will be the competitor who has biggest average winning margin over the other.
- If the two competitors have not swum in the same event, then the winner will be the competitor with the greatest average points margin between first and second place in the races they have won.
NB: Overall Series prize money will only be allocated to ‘Elite’ competitors – for more information see the Elite Series Competition.