TERMS & CONDITIONS AND WAIVER
1. I understand that I should not compete in this event unless I have trained and prepared appropriately for it. My physical condition has been verified by a medical practitioner or I confidently believe that I am sufficiently fit and healthy to compete in this event.
2. I acknowledge that ocean swimming involves the real risk of serious injury or even death from various causes including overexertion, equipment failure, dehydration and/or accidents with other competitors.
3. By competing, I accept all risks necessarily flowing from my participation which could result in loss of life or permanent injury. Accordingly, I release all persons or corporations associated directly or indirectly with the conduct of the event from all claims, demands and proceedings arising out of my participation and I hereby indemnify them against all liability (including liability for their negligence and the negligence of others) for all injury, loss or damage arising out of or connected with my participation in this event. This release shall extend to and include Quantum Events Limited and their respective directors, partners, managers, officers, agents, contractors, employees and volunteers including medical and paramedical personnel appointed for the event, the owners, licensees and occupiers of land upon which the event or any part of it is conducted, any statutory body or local authority having control over any land upon which the event or any part of it is conducted or which is involved directly or indirectly with the event in any manner whatsoever and promoters, sponsors and event organisers. This release and indemnity continues forever and binds my heirs, executors, personal representative and assigns.
4. I accept that it is my responsibility to contact the event organisers should any information on my entry form need to be updated e.g. emergency contact details.
5. I understand that if I am entering an ‘I’m Going Long’ swim for the first time it is the recommendation of the New Zealand Ocean Swim Series organisers that I complete a ‘Step it Up’ 1000m swim or similar event before undertaking the longer swim.
6. I acknowledge that the event organisers will endeavour to provide a true and accurate course distance but the distance may vary due to tidal flows and ocean conditions.
7. I consent to receiving any medical treatment that the event organisers think is necessary during or after the event.
8. I consent to the event organisers using my name, image and likeness before, during or after the event for event promotional purposes in any marketing media, official sponsor campaigns and for broadcasting or reporting purposes in any media.
9. I understand that safety precautions undertaken by organisers (such as course supervision, event safety briefing) are a service to me and other competitors but are not a guarantee of safety.
10. I accept that I have an important responsibility to listen to all pre-event safety briefings and to immediately seek clarification from an event official on anything which is not entirely clear to me.
11. I am fully responsible for the security of my personal possessions at the event.
12. If the event is cancelled or I choose not to take part in the event, I understand that my registration fee is non-refundable.
13. I agree to abide by all event rules and directions issued by the event organiser. These are listed on the webpage – http://oceanswim.co.nz/event-safety
14. I agree to my name and contact details being included on the Quantum Events Ltd event and email database. Event specific email communications and messages from event partners will be sent to me. I have the ability to unsubscribe from this at any time.
15. I acknowledge that by reason of circumstances beyond the control of the event organisers, it may become necessary or desirable to change the format of the event, and if that occurs, I consent to the changes and I agree that each and every one of the conditions herein set out shall apply to that changed event.
16. Due to the committed outgoing costs, if the event is cancelled due to flooding, cyclones, torrential rains or other ‘acts of God’ conditions, I understand that my entry fee will not be refunded.
17. I hereby certify that I am the minimum age or older as specified for my chosen event. The minimum age as at event day is 12 years old for the ‘I’m Going Long’ swim, 10 years old for the ‘Step it Up’ 1000m swim, 8 years old for the ‘Give it a Go’ 500m swim and 7 years old for the 200m ‘OceanKids’ swim.
18. I hereby certify that I am 16 years of age or older. (See below for younger competitors)
19. If I am younger than 16 years of age, I will have these Terms and Conditions viewed and agreed upon by my legal guardian (through the online entry process), which will in effect give consent for me to compete in this event. Children under the age of 16 wanting to compete in this event should have a high level of ability and fitness in their chosen event category. Parental guidance is required.